Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Cry Freedom!

In the Movie, Braveheart, there comes a time when Mel Gibson, who plays Sir William Wallace, is addressing his his Country Men who have gathered to fight the English.  Wallace thought the English were scum, and by all accounts, they were back then.  The English ruled with an Iron Fist and invoked a draconian law, where the English Nobleman who owned the land, where the Scots lived, got "first dibs" on any Scottish Woman marrying a Scottish Man.

As the Scots looked at the formidable English Troops they were facing, they began to doubt their resolve. Wallace seeing this, turns to his Country Men and says:


Aye, fight and you may die, run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take away our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM! 


Recently, I decided that I needed to stand up to a Draconian Rule recently enacted in Second Life.  Linden Lab, the Developer of the much loved Second Life, thought it best that it steal the content that had been created by the Residents of Second Life.  I chose to remove Bob Bunderfeld, along with his Inventory, from the world of Second Life, because I wasn't willing to "lie down and take it".   Far too long have I been trying to show Second Life Residents what Linden Lab was doing to our World of Second Life while at the same time, trying to help those same Residents in Second Life.  With this new Draconian Law, I saw that I could no longer just talk about how bad Linden Lab was, but I needed to act, to make a statement that people would understand, to stand up to the giant that is Linden Lab, and say "NO MORE" and cry Freedom myself!

So, I have left Second Life and changed my Virtual World to InWorldz.  InWorldz is a little project that a few former Second Life Residents started over a year ago, to provide an alternative to the World of Second Life.  I have been involved in InWorldz nearly from its beginning, albeit quietly, real quietly as Elenia would say.  But now, I will stand next to the other former Second Life Residents and say we won't allow Linden Lab to ruin our Virtual Existence.  We won't allow Linden Lab to tell us that bugs are a normal part of a Virtual World.  We won't allow Linden Lab to take are money and then steal our work as well.  Today, I joined those in InWorldz to cry FREEDOM.

Freedom is the name of my new home in InWorldz.  To find it, just click on the Map Button and put in the word "Freedom" and then Teleport out.  I chose this name carefully and with purpose.  I was FREE from the tyranny of Linden Lab.  I was FREE from the constant cries of those who needed a Virtual World and found themselves stuck in Second Life.  I am FREE to say NO to people who want to offer me a Product infested with incompetence and then say that anything I choose to create or upload, or have already created or uploaded, is now owned by them.

Today I cry FREEDOM as my Worldz Turn in a different direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep It Clean